Artikel Ping Babab.net

Monday, August 6, 2018

Route to Professional Engineer (Ir. @ P.Eng. @ MIEM)

So, you might come to a situation that you think you have to upgrade, from a graduate engineer to a professional engineer (with Ir. status of course!) In fact, you can start to apply to sit for the professional interview after 3 years working as an engineer (with the condition of being supervised by a professional engineer).

I’m going to tell you what we all need to know to apply for this professional certification.

There are 3 routes that we can choose from, either through BEM, IEM or by obtaining certification from international body to bypass IEM & BEM. Route 3 is to be avoided unless there are reasons that prevent you from applying through route 1 and route 2. If you go through Route 3, you will get the Chartered Engineer certification from international body, then you can go to BEM to apply for the Ir. title.

In my case, I choose to apply through IEM. Why? Because I am already a 'Graduate' member of IEM, so I am interested to upgrade the membership to 'Member of IEM'. Is it easy to apply through IEM rather than BEM? The answer is yes and no. What I mean here is, it seems hard at first, but once we get started, follow the requirements they want, we definitely can successfully go through the steps and finish all the procedures.

I send the application form together with technical & experience report in December 2017. After waiting for months, on 1st Jun 2018, I received email from IEM saying that my application to attend Professional Interview (PI) already approved. Then on 28th Jun 2018, I received an email from one of the interviewers to discuss on my availability for the date given. I replied and said Ok. Then later that evening he emailed the exact date to conduct the interview.

I will share my experience attending the interview in my next post..

No comments:

Post a Comment